Nance King Suite
The Nance Suite is one of our favorite guest suites that we have at Sage Hill Inn. This third floor suite spans the entire length of second main Sage Hill Inn building and has sweeping views of the Hill Country in all directions. At the front of the suite is a large living room, complete with a 42” satellite TV, DVD player, cozy sofa and a romantic, remote-controlled fireplace. Relax in the suite bathroom’s large inlaid, marble-tiled whirlpool tub, a large glass shower and Hill Country view from massive bay windows. Like all our suites, Nance has a galley kitchen with a sink, refrigerator, and coffeemaker.
The Nance also has a large bedroom, with an additional television, a comfortable faux down king-sized bed and a private balcony with a view to the east.
Your Sage Hill Inn stay is made special with our room amenities including satellite HD television, free Wi-Fi, unique Hill Country views, and a selection of complimentary Texas beverages including sodas and locally bottled water & sparkling water.
You can review the policies for your stay by clicking here
The Blanco Community, sometimes called the Nance Community, began in 1852, when Major Ezekiel Edward Nance arrived. His cotton mill and meat-packing establishments provided course cotton cloth and meat to the Confederacy, as noted on a Texas Historical Commission marker erected in 1965 in Hays County. Ezekiel was the son of Lewis Nance and Lucy Kepler of Hempstead County, Arkansas. His mother deserted her family around 1824 and as announced in the January 1 issue of the Arkansas Gazette, his father was granted a divorce in 1827. Lewis Nance died on November 1, 1855, while residing in Hempstead County. Ezekiel married Luaney Weightsell Pate on March 22, 1840, until she passed away in 1852. On April 7, 1853, Ezekiel married Martha Jane Alexander, moved to Hays County, Texas and settled on a government grant of 10,000 acres located along the Blanco River. According to Hays County Deed Book A, p. 426, Nance had already bought his first tract of land in Hays County on June 15, 1852.
That same year, on what is now County Road 225 in Kyle, the Nance’s slave-force constructed a typical log house – two large rooms connected by a “dogtrot.” It was later added on to and the logs covered sometime in 1886. Today, all that is currently recognizable are the two formidable stone fireplaces, as it recently burned on March 18, 1999, with arson suspected. Nance farmed his riverfront land, and erected a small, primitive cotton gin and gristmill to serve his needs and those of other farmers in the area, after settling there only five years before. The settlement grew rapidly around the Nance establishments and business increased until 1857, when a flood destroyed both the gin and mill. Because the heavy-flowing Blanco River runs only a short course (64 miles in length), it was capable of generating tremendous power. This prime resource made it natural for Major Nance to rely upon the stream for driving his mills. Determined to conquer the treacherous river, Major Nance erected another mill, which he enlarged a few years later to meet increasing business demands. By this time the settlement around the Nance mill had become known as the Blanco Community. It did not become a formal town, however, since a post office had never been established. Consequently, the people conducted most of their business in Mountain City. The Blanco Community did provide a small log building serving as the schoolhouse. In 1865, Major Nance built a masonry structure of native limestone with 18 inch thick walls, to serve both as a school and church. Inside the building, carved in rock over the opening of the fireplace, is a star and the word “Wisdom.” This building is now restored and owned by Emmett McCoy and is located not far from the Claiborn-Kyle Log House. Into the exterior wall on the front of the building a small cross of limestone was placed a a squared stone below it, bearing the inscription: BLANCO CHAPEL ERECTED 1865 BY EZEKIEL NANCE.